31.10.19

31.10.19 ZWO ASI174MM-S USB3.

*

The ZWOASI120MC-S seemed like a breakthrough after my struggles with the Neximage5. As the excitement waned I carried out endless research online.  Just trying to narrow down what works for the really skilled imagers. This suggested the 120 was not ideal. The smart money said I needed a mono camera if I was to progress.

But which? Image scale, pixel and sensor size, resolution and speed all reared their ugly heads in any decision. What that meant in terms of a 1200mm focal length +/- any GPC really mattered. Images and imagers seemed to be split between whole disk views and high magnification views of spots and prominences.

I greatly preferred the latter and I am far better equipped to capture these without further investment. Moreover, the Mercury Transit is coming and soon. [11th November] Earlier attempts to capture tiny Mercury as it slowly crossed The Sun's relatively vast disk were... what shall we say... disappointing? I am still struggling, years later, to positively identify Mercury in an earlier attempt. Specially purchased, brand new,  rechargeable AA batteries for my first digital camera were crap and wouldn't hold any charge. I had no spare batteries at home and was overdue back at work.

The most recent attempt was with the 7" and the Neximage 5. The image scale was hilarious! It softened the image and showed up chromatic aberration. Had the picture been better it would have been possible to see craters on Mercury! This time I want to be ready.

To that end I have a new ZWO ASI174MM-S USB3 mono camera to supplement the 120MC-S colour. Now I can capture in H-alpha as well as white light without needing to change anything. Nor does the 7" refractor, on its massive steel stand, have to be dragged outside the gate just to see the sun. The 174 has a much bigger sensor than the 120. As can be seen in the views of the active chip size. The 174 appears taller because it has a raised, 2" base. Into which I screwed the supplied 1.25" adapter. Both cameras have the same adapter.


Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

No comments: