7.11.19

7.11.19 The latest iteration of the 6" H-alpha telescope.

 *


This image shows the latest arrangement of my highly modified, 6" f/8 H-alpha telescope.

It is now providing truly startling images and views. At ~£10,000, the cost of a commercial 150mm H-alpha telescope is well beyond my pocket. For my much more modest investment I am very happy indeed with the results. I can use high powers, atmosphere permitting, thanks to the larger aperture.

You do the maths:

A cheap, secondhand 6" f/8 Celestron CR150HD  + an overpriced, secondhand PST + 90mm Baader [internal] D-ERF + Maier ITF + Baader 1.125 GPC + cheap helical focuser. Plus the AOK Swiss etalon adapters and various 2", T2 & 1.25" extenders.

I'd like to make a proper support system for the very long, cantilevered filtration stack. It is vital that the spacing of the various components is accurate. They can't just be moved around arbitrarily, relative to the focal plane of the main objective.

It has been fun reaching this point. Even frustrating at times. I am very grateful to all the solar enthusiasts who offered vital advice along the way.

I must apologise that this blog is not a more useful, construction reference. The build has been scattered over about a year of online research, advice and putting it all together in stages. I am constantly learning and recognise that the image processing software is still my Achilles Heel to much better final images.

Observing and imaging the sun has become my main pastime. It has finally separated me from my almost obsessive cycling of previous years. Up to 10,000 miles per year before I gradually cut back. The very real risk of an accident or personal ijury increases with every extra mile and every year which passes.

Now in my early 70s I am now at home, most days, instead of being many miles from home fighting the wind. My home-made, domed observatory has become my daily centre for relaxed but intense activity and creativity. Yet I am always within easy reach should my wife need me for a chore.

At the same time I am not cluttering up the happy home by moping around, watching TV or browsing. The present arrangement suits us both. When the weather is uncooperative for astronomy, I can still work on the equipment or the buildings. While I wait for cloud to clear I am thinking about improvements.
 
After 12.00 heavy cloud obscured the sun.  The cloud seems to be coming from the SE and became progressively worse. With the sun so low, up here at 55N, its light has to take a far greater, slanting journey to reach me through the atmosphere. Meaning that there is always a far greater risk of cloud intervening. It has now reached 15.00 and there is very little prospect of clear skies. It was 16.30 before the sky cleared. The sun having long gone to bed.

Cloud also spoilt a potential half moon, imaging session. It is completely overcast now at 20.00.

Friday evening was another attempt at lunar imaging. However, the seeing was awful again. With violent thermal shaking and thin, high cloud. A strong halo varied over a couple of hours and there were few to no stars visible. Near the end of my struggle there was just a hint of a Plato craterlet but it had vanished by the time I had mangled it with Registax.

Registax crashed so many times I may have to give up on it. Every time I tried to Align the active screen went white and blank and never returned. The Align Points is broken. It did not change the number regardless of Strength. It was throwing 400-600 red spots which were not removable nor variable. 

An AWR-ASCOM "denied connection" popped up every time I tried to use SharpCap. HitechAstro's panel showed no ASCOM connection. PHD2 could not connect to ASCOM. Connection denied again. I ran another ASCOM Diagnostics check but all seemed well with a few exceptions.


*

No comments: