24.3.20

24.03.2020 Sun and wind!

*

Tuesday 24th, 42-46F, sunny, but another milky sky with a strong and gusty southerly- SE wind. It does not bode well for imaging with the dome's observation slit facing straight into the wind! The moment I opened up the dome shutters I was hit by a cold blast of wind. Not today! I'm tidying the shed instead.

Wednesday 25th 35-45F, sunny again but windy from the SE. [Again!]

10.00 45/42F cool breeze but not impossible.I am trying to bring out the smudges in the SE quadrant. The proms are indistinct. 40% of 2000 frames. 800x600.

10.25 46/43F, there is a filament near the southern limb. I have over-processed in ImPPG!

The latest solar features on an updated website. The original Gong
H-a is not being updated.

11.20 45/44F, the wind is beginning to be a real nuisance. Shaking the telescope as well as making it feel very cold in the dome.

12.40 Stopped for lunch and to warm up indoors. I'm not impressed by today's images. I have tried varying the processing, etalon and focus but none of the images are much good. I tried swapping back to the BF5 blocking filter but the images on the monitor were even worse. Neither BF would provide decent views of the proms today. They were all lost in noise.

After lunch I continued capturing videos.


15.00 I captured 22 videos of overlapping areas of the sun's disk. ICE made a mess. Will try again later.

15.45 The wind has finally dropped. Transparency has improved during the afternoon. Lots of "threads" visible in the 16:25 and 16:56 processed image.[Click]  I might go back to them and try to improve the final images.




*

No comments: