25.4.20

25.04.2020 Early sun before promised cloud.

*
Saturday 25th 37F. A repeat of yesterday's "cloud later" forecast. I ought to start imaging as early as
possible to catch the supposed, better seeing conditions.

The problem locally, is that many of the fields to my east are bare earth and higher ground. They have been seed drilled but the crop is still little more than sparse grass. So the sun can warm these huge areas far more readily than if they had a cool,
green sward.

It is before 7am and the sun is already on the dome.The problem is that Gong Ha is showing almost nothing. No obvious surface markings and no proms. I will just have to practice "overcooking" my surface texture images.

7.37 46/45F. The pale "spot" on the equator shows some interesting "whorls" but I'm struggling to capture it. Added the 2x WO Barlow. Now going to try the PST BF.


8.05 Applied my very first successful flat! Notice how even is the illumination compared with the earlier image.

I simply threw a slightly 'misty' polythene bin bag over the objective and captured the flat. Then removed the bag before starting a normal capture. Quite pleased with the result. 😊

8.54 Better still! Using 100 of 500 frames. The monitor image is getting more and more "agile" as the sun rises.

10.10 56/53F. The seeing continues to improve. Some cloud came over but has mostly cleared again.

Still better.Wisps of high cloud and the wind is picking up!

Fitting the bin bag is a chore with the objective so high above my head! I am standing on a beer crate just to reach on tiptoe! I need a cardboard ring with the bin bag polythene material fixed over it for rapid fitting and removal.

10.53 The pale spot seems to be shrinking or decaying. Something has gone awry with my timing labels. More serious cloud cover now.

12.04 Interesting black spot and disturbed region on SE quadrant.


*

No comments: