22.7.20

22.07.20 Rebalanced 6" H-alpha OTA.

 *

I took some pictures of the re-balanced telescope. It is very difficult to get it all into one image. I had to stand on a mini stepladder and hold the camera at arm's length above my head. There is loads of room for the 6" f/10 in the 3m [10'] diameter dome.

The 7" is much longer, bulkier and heavier at f/12. It is presently "resting" while I decided what to do about it. The 7" catches the wind far more than the 6". Which makes imaging a struggle at times. I was concentrating on solar imaging and H-a in particular,. So I decided to remove the bigger telescope.

The folded version of the 7" was just as heavy as the straight version. Collimation was always an issue in the folded version. I never did build the extended, collimation, remote control rods vital to saving hours of to-ing and fro-ing. I'm not sure how the Zerodur optical flats would cope with hours of concentrated sunlight. No problem with the Baader solar foil filter but the Lacerta Herschel prism needs sunlight at full strength. Which means a hot and bright, focused beam bouncing back and forth.


*

No comments: