8.12.20

8.12.2020. Angular contact bearings.

 *

Tuesday 8th. Heavy overcast again. Possible sunshine later. The angular contact bearings have arrived from the UK. 

Well and very sensibly wrapped to allow normal postbox delivery. Rather than foolishly boxed, completely oversized and impossible to post. 

The quality looks fine and I shall fit two of them to the RA worm today. Beacon Hill had promised thrust [worm] bearings on their website but they were just normal, journal ball bearings. 

Angular contact bearings have inclined shoulders on both races. Where the balls run in radiused grooves set at a matching angle. Providing a useful balance between end and radial load carrying capacity. Also in smaller sizes than taper roller bearings are readily available. The bearings must be fitted the correct way around to provide the end loading resistance. No shields are provided but simple disks can keep the worst of the dust out.

I mounted the new bearings on the worm shaft. They proved to be slightly looser on the worm shaft than the originals. This caused the entire worm, to instantly escape towards the belt pulleys. I spent some time trying to work out why this should be so. Then decided on a radical solution. A solid, worm shaft retention device on thr tail end.

I bored out an M10 steel nut to 12mm in the lathe. Then drilled and tapped it radially at 120° for three M4 grub screws. The nut will be clamped onto the far end of the worm shaft. I just need to open up the hole in the additional angle profile which I fitted recently for housing reinforcement. 

My largest [normal] twist drill is only 16mm. I am going to try and run a slightly larger milling cutter through the undersized hole. Failing that it is manual labour with my largest, round file. And so there was.

After rebuilding the RA motor/worm assembly it proved to be strangely silent. I had removed the pointless steel rims on the 32T worm drive pulley but can't see how that would affect noise levels. This simple mod provided increased clearance from the wormwheel rim.

There is still some slight, end shake in the worm itself. I have yet to discover why. Something has changed with the fitting of the new bearings and I am not [yet] sure what it might be.

 

 *

No comments: