19.2.21

19.02.2021 Two down. Only three more to go.

 *

 Friday 19th overcast but milder at 37F, 39F, 43F. The thaw has me planning to start digging to bury more foundation blocks. Two more blocks added before lunch. Fortunately I had to repair something. So I was excused more digging in the afternoon. No point in overdoing it.

The extra, dome rotation wheels have arrived. It involved a 200 meter dash to collect them from the side of the road with my sack truck. The rather small boxes came in an articulated, 40' container lorry. The chocolate teapot, delivery service.

Saturday 20th. Two more blocks buried by 11.30. Having a rest. Weak sunshine and 44F/7C at 12.00. It reached 47F/ 8C later.

I need 24 lengths of 4.2m planed 50x100.[47x95]  Or 12 lengths of sawn 100x100. After double checking with my tape measure I found I can easily manage 4.2m lengths of timber with my trailer. The overall price is the same for both types but the sawn 100x100 is prone to cracking as it dries out. I will need cross bracing too. So I had better buy enough extra 50x100 [2x4] while I am at it.

If I go with the 50x100 uprights and cross braces I can prefabricate full height frames to erect side by side. Then bolt the uprights together in place. This would make for a more accurate build. Provided, of course, that I make them the correct size and they all fit onto the foundation blocks' steelwork. 

I am trying to avoid making every cross brace a made to measure exercise this time. As I had to with the last observatory build. Due to variations in block spacing and warped and twisted 100x100 sawn timber.

*

No comments: