25.2.21

25.02.2021 Whoops! I did it again!

 *

Thursday 25th 45F. The forecast is a bright start then cloudy. There was weak sunshine until it rained lightly at 13:00. Now overcast.

My back, shoulder and arms are still aching from the recent exertions. I am trying to keep multiple handling of heavy tools, plywood and timber to a minimum. The 5'x5' sheets of 15mm birch ply are HEAVY! They have to be moved every time I need another tool! Which is NUTS! There is nowhere sheltered to store them except leaning against the shelving in the shed.

I plan to make two or three wall frames today. To see how easily they handle and join together in reality. All the cross braces need trimming slightly first. To narrow the frames. No made-to-measure components this time. The last building and dome consisted almost 100% of unique, individually trimmed pieces! 

This time I have my foundation block spacing far more "disciplined." They should all be within 1cm of each other even if they don't form a precision circle. The steelwork brackets can cope with small errors of position. Their height is adjustable.

I made two frames and managed to get them upright against the building without too much effort. The problem was my reversing all the cross braces while I was screwing them together on the benches. Leading to widely splayed uprights. Dogh! I'm going back out to fix that now.

Job done. Much neater. The veranda is getting in the way of the nearest frame to the camera. Pushing it out from vertical. It would be quite a lot of work to remove the veranda's fascia boards because of all the hidden screws and metalwork.

There are a number of sub-joists, using joist hangers, to better support the veranda floor. I used an octagonal pattern for the veranda floorboards. Resulting in lots of short lengths. All wasted, once the new building needs internal flooring out to its new perimeter.

Later I put another frame together working on the ground. It takes only a couple of minutes with the prepared timber. I am using 10mm [4"] Torx screws. Once the completed frame is lifted upright I walk it to the building. Then slide it sideways around the veranda and the other frames. The shrubbery in the foreground is only a slight hindrance.

I have temporarily tied the frames loosely to the veranda with cord. Just to avoid them falling outwards onto the wildlife. The frames are rather too tall but I don't want to chop them off this early in the build. 

The cross-braces in the middle are a purely arbitrary, 2m [6'6"] down from the top. Handy to have something to grab when struggling to keep the frames upright when outboard of the other frames. The middle braces also help to keep the frames reasonably stiff. I suppose I ought to call the cross braces "noggins." There will be more of them once I decide on the frames' final form. The present arrangement is just a rehearsal. I do not want to mass produce a lot of identical frames only to discover a flaw in my plan.

*

No comments: