28.2.21

28.02.2021 Cross brace to joist fixings.

 *

 Sunday 28th overcast and cool at 38F.

All the middle braces need to be moved upwards. To fit under [or over] the octagon's floor joists. Where I can screw them securely to hold the new building framework firmly to the octagon.

I think I have discovered a fairly safe way to add more cross braces to already raised, wall frames. I can tie a loose loop around adjoining uprights. With a small screw to stop the loop from slipping downwards.

Then I can work around the circle by releasing the temporary clamps. The frames can be leaned in, or out. Just far enough to drive screws into the cross braces though the uprights. With the cord loops stopping the frames from getting too far out of shape. The weight of the new cross brace can be taken up by projecting screws. Or screws driven though scrap blocks. Which are removed once a secure fixing for the cross brace is achieved. If I fix the cross braces over the joists they can take the weight instead.

I decided to fix the braces over the joists simply because it was easier. The cord loops idea worked well. Giving me enough movement to remove the lower braces. Then move them upwards. 

The tops of the frames nearest the shed are hitting the dome. So I am going to have to shorten all the uprights. I had used the full length of the 4.2m timber for no particular reason. Now I shall have to mark them all. Then cut them with a jigsaw while hanging from the ladder. Or I could hang out of the slit. I have no desire to take all the frames down again just to chop the tops off! 

I returned two frames to the front of the building. Where I had much better ladder access to confirm the required height. Having fitted several braces over the joists I remembered the height of the cladding plywood. So, rather than move the braces down again I added a second brace under the joists. 

There was a lot of trimming of the joists required to make the braces fit. With constant checking using a builder's level for perpendicularity. I shall add more braces before fixing the frames in place. It reached only 44F today. With the first, brief view of the sun at 17.00. Another long, tiring day.


*

No comments: