12.9.21

12.09.2021 Shutter-rib brackets.

 * 

Sunday 12th 64F, heavy showers and very brief sunny periods.

I replaced all the shutter-rib brackets. This required they all be set to an angle. I did this by laying each bracket over a 3" rusty pipe and hitting the exterior of the angle with a hammer. The resulting angle was checked against an earlier bracket. 

The rusty pipe was a mistake. Because it marked the brackets. I didn't have another of a suitable size that wasn't rusty. I expect I shall paint the inside of the dome black eventually. Along with the  brackets. 

I cam now fine tune the spacing of the shutters when they close. The same for the shutter ribs closing against the slit ribs.

Finally having enough rubber washers allowed me to finish sealing the last of the bolts. Some had proved to be leaky in heavy rain. So the washers were placed under the domed heads of the bolts which hold the dome together. Also of the shutters bracket bolts, as well, of course. 

There must be over 80 bolts in all. Each had to have the nuts and washers removed on the inside. Then hit with a loaded plastic hammer to push them out. Then I'd go outside the dome to pull the bolts out. To enable me to fit the rubber washers. 

Then I'd push them back in. Returning inside the dome to carefully fit the nuts and washers again. Without pushing the screws back out. Finally cranking the nuts tight. 

This squashed the rubber washers almost flat and matched their new size to the bolt heads. Leaving the domed headed bolts flush with the dome surface and the rubber washers protected from UV.

Afternoon. The cloud from the west cleared enough to risk some imaging. Rather breezy. See next episode for the results.

 

*

No comments: