3.11.21

3.11.2021 Base ring completed minus one last arc.

 *

Wednesday 3rd 36-52F, cloudy and slightly misty start but clearing to sunshine. Thin high cloud is spoiling the show..

It was cold overnight. Which was a bit of a worry considering I had a freshly glued base ring. Hopefully the glue was protected by the plywood sandwich. I was careful to use lots of clamps and screws to ensure against separation of the laminations. It should reach 50F again today. I will leave gluing the last three arcs until the temperature peaks.

It has reached 49F at 13.00. Not much of a safety margin from the recommended 45F minimum for using Titebond 3.

It sneaked up to 52F mid afternoon. So I glued, clamped and screwed two more, full arcs. Only one arc left to complete the base ring below the observation slit. With three laminations for 36mm thickness. I also fixed a few of the last inverted, shelf brackets before it was too dark to proceed further. I was too tired to continue by then. A large, doubled tarpaulin over the open slit will help to keep the frost off overnight. A low of 5C and thick fog is forecast.

 

*

No comments: