24.1.22

24/25.01.2022 Fiddling + spherical triangles.

 *

Monday 24th 41F, overcast again. No sun again!

I have been fiddling with the shutters and refitting brackets to the base ring. I doesn't sound much but it kept me busy for a few hours. I think I am going to have to use long, heavy duty, shelf brackets to fix the slit ribs to the base ring. There really isn't much room for anything else. Clearance is required for the hold downs on the inside track. The lower shutter bogies on the outside. 

Tuesday 5th. 41F. Overcast. I have been looking again at the open, spherical triangles on either side of the slit opening. Which will need to be filled with left-over GRP from the slit cut-out. The size of these triangles is very close to the total amount of reserve material available. With some further cosmetic limitations If I want to follow the dome's moulded facets.

I used brackets for the dome/base ring fixing. So I can now use more of these to hold the triangle fillers. Prior to deciding on using brackets I had imagined needing to use GRP or nothing else. A serious hurdle in winter. GRP is months away on minimum temperature requirements. Using GRP is quite possible later on. If I decide it is really necessary for sealing and/or increased strength.

I was also been fighting with the recalcitrant shutters. I cannot fill the triangles if I need them to access the dome.  I have kept the original doorway lip above. To ensure rain flows outside or over these triangles. It is time to see what can be done about filling in these triangles. Not an easy task using spherical off-cuts.

The results are shown in the images. Before, inside and outside.

It is very difficult to judge the curved, spherical edges. So I was very generous and still just made it within the available footprint. I have more than enough material left to form a skirt. The bottom of the triangle still needs to be trimmed to make it horizontal.

 I shall cut out the second triangle after lunch.

Preview of propped panel on 2nd triangle. The facets don't follow the dome. Nor the shutters. I have no choice given what is available. With careful marking I may be able to make the triangular panel more upright. I could use the remaining piece of GRP dome but it would mean a horizontal joint and even worse mismatch mid panel. Whether any of this can be seen from the ground is another matter. 


It rained in the afternoon. Making jigsawing on a mains extension lead a risk.



*

No comments: