22.4.21

22.04.2021 Door post reinforcement.

 *

Thursday 22nd 40-54F. Mostly bright, but cloudy, with gales. 

I decided to beef up the intended doorway section with at least one 2x4 post. To leave the area unsupported left rather a big gap. I have a spare foundation block which could be buried under the post. Not that I am ever in the mood for digging deep holes. Too much like hard work. Particularly when I am already aching all over! 

The new door will be hung from the octagon posts. Which are well inboard of the overhanging structure of the larger footprint. Which will be taking over as the support for the dome rotation rollers. Any downward flexure will lighten the load on that roller. Throwing more weight onto the others.

The new woodwork is a bit "belt and braces" but I will feel happier for the extra supporting post. I moved the spare foundation block over to lie under the new upright post. Then added cross braces to tie it all together. The cladding can now be carried to the edge of the inset "porch" with full support. 

I can't add the cross braces to the two empty frames on the left of the new door yet. Because the much larger, octagon panels would be trapped inside the new framework.


*

No comments: