17.4.21

17.04.2021 Top tier cladding.

 *

Saturday 17th. 40-54F. I made a start on the upper tier of cladding. Slightly awkward to fit because the ladder can't overlap the panel being fixed. The northerly wind doesn't help!

13.00 Lunch: Three panels fitted. Getting into a routine. Cut a 30cm strip from one side. Then plane that edge smooth. Mark the 89cm width on the other side.  Saw off the narrow strip and plane the edge of the remaining board smooth. Measure down and saw off at 151cm. Push the cut up against the top of the frame and close the gap against the last panel fitted. Fix the cladding panel with 40mm screws. 

3.20. Stopped for a rest. All this staring upwards is making me dizzy!

Later I added another panel at the front. It all looks a lot more solid now. The lighter, lower, plywood panel on the right is the reminder of where the new door will go. Still need to add the frames where they join old and new buildings in the NE and SE. That means removing existing cladding. Which is premature.

I still can't add the new, lower panels yet. Because they would block access to the old and new buildings. I can't remove the inner [octagon] panels. Because I would lose their weatherproofing, vermin proofing and security. 

This high level view shows the considerable increase in girth of the building. The new panels have yet to take a tan. They darken quite quickly in bright sunshine.

At some stage I need to remove the instruments and huge DIY mounting. Then the weather doesn't matter. I can remove the weathered, octagon cladding. Then trim to size and line the new observatory walls with it. Add character and save painting things black. 

I need to dismantle the old dome and prepare for the new. Move the rollers over to the new perimeter and add the new. 

The new dome needs laminated rings and ribs to be added. The cold, spring weather hasn't been right for glue. I am still waiting for the tool store in the city to send me the router bits I ordered. For trimming accurate ribs and rings to size.

 
*

 

No comments: